Re: Tight Brakes - Now I'm confused

To: Bob Donahue <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>, mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tight Brakes - Now I'm confused
From: Walton <waltonps@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:38:07 -0700 (PDT)
Good Morning Bob;

Like Lew said; cutting or filing the metal shoe is probably not an acceptable
fix. Have you had the drums ground? Are the shoes bonded, or riveted? Are you
sure the micram has been backed-off fully in the counter-clockwise direction?
Have you checked to make sure you do not have a sticking wheel cylinder?

The shoes are interchangeable, however note the  pad is not exactly centered on
the shoe. The recessed side of the shoe must be placed on the micram adjuster

 Having the shoes arced to the drum will always help. Arcing is where the shoes
are concentric arced and not flat radiused to the drums as you might think. The
shoes are ground to be slightly higher in the center, and then tapered on the
ends. Very few shops can perform the process anymore due to environmental
restrictions being imposed, however you can chamfer the shoe in your own shop
with just a file or sander. The bevel cut to both the heel and toe of the shoe
can emulate some of the arching benefits and has no measurable reduction in
performance.

Good Luck;

Walt

Bob Donahue <bobmgtd@insightbb.com> wrote: Hello Everyone:

    I'm confused. The problem brake is on the front right. I don't see any
difference in the shoes, they look identical to my eyes. Are there supposed to
be markings designating 'primary' and 'secondary'? Also the linings (pads?)
face either up or down. I don't understand 'facing towards the front of the
car'.  BTW, these shoes are NOS.

Also BTW, I used a drum puller I just bought from JC Whitney. Boy that really
beats pounding the drum off with a mallet! The puller is worth it's weight in
gold.

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Cars:       52 MGTD - #17639