Re: Steering Rack Lubrication

To: MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Lubrication
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:55:37 -0600
Dave:

<<<snip>>>
I have long been on the oil side of  the argument due to the metal to
metal ball joints inside the rack.  Having taken these ball joints
apart, I could not see how grease can  work it's way into these joints
the way that oil is able to.
<<<snip>>>
I agree whole heartedly as I too have had these apart.

My Datsun 240Z uses grease, but the joint is constucted differently and
is more like the lower ball joint used in front suspensions.  It has
groves in the ball just like a lower ball joint does.

Additionally, I don't think grease will work out into the boots very
well.  As the rack moves back and forth it can "pump" oil into the boots
much better.

Blake