Steering Rack Lubrication

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Rack Lubrication
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:45:29 -0400
I've been following the discussion about lubricating the steering rack of a
TD. Admittedly the manual says to use oil, but I am in a dilemma. I would
appreciate comments concerning the following passage in Richard Knudson's
"The T Type Restoration Handbook" page 86:

"Steering Rack:  The original lube charts call for the use of gear oil in
TD/TF/Y steering rack, but modern multi-purpose lithium grease works just as
well and isn't nearly as messy."

Knudson isn't the first person I have seen advocating using lithium grease
instead of oil. What's the problem using grease?

Stu Keen
1951 MGTD MkII