Re: Manual timing advance

To: simbafish@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Manual timing advance
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:13:41 -0400
Hi Stu,
  The manual advance/retard control was not fitted to all MkIIs. Perhaps
some, but not all.  I've seen it on a couple of TDs, but the owners told
me that it was installed by an owner.
  The control itself can be any sort of lever that will push/pull a cable
or linkage that will turn the distributor or the plate inside.  You have
probably seen them mounted on steering wheels, and sometimes they are on
the dash panel itself.
  By the time the TDs came along, most people agreed that the factory-set
advance for timing was pretty good. But, in literature of the time, there
can be found references to manual timing by writers Ken Purdy and Tom
McCahill. They felt that it could be used to give that little extra tweak
to achieve perfect timing for the conditions of the moment.
Bob

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:35:57 -0400 Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
writes:
> In Clausager's "MG T Series" I read under the subtitle "TD Mark II or
> TD/C Model" on page 91, top of second column:
>
> "A manual ignition advance/retard control was fitted"
>
> Is this a true statement? Clausager states this manual control was
> standard equipment for the MkII along with dual fuel pumps, extra
shocks etc.
> I certainly don't have a manual control on my '51 TD MkII. What does
> it look like? I do not find any mention of it in Moss or Abingdon
Spares