Re: Striker plate and wedge

To: "Nigel Geach (CRFPULP)" <Ngeach@fccl.com>,
Subject: Re: Striker plate and wedge
From: "david.tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 21:17:26 +0100
If you can repair the original that is the way to go. The only way to repair
these effectively is to buy a new metalastic bush (steel outer, steel inner
and rubber joining them together, non adjustable ) which is probably not
available now. And if the bush is that worn the second catch ( safety
catch ) on the wedge is probably worn too. I tried to repair the one on my
TD several years ago and thought I had done a good job, but on turning a
sharp corner the door flew open, broke the door check rod on the way round
and
struck the rear wing denting my pride as well as the door!!. How I wish a
new catch assembly  had been fitted, the cost would have been much less than
repairing the damage.

Be warned though, there are some catches available in the UK ( and maybe
elsewhere ) that look the same as the originals, but are dimensionally
different and therefore not interchangeable.

Good Luck

David Tinker