Re: [mg-tabc] Re: TB lights

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Re: TB lights
From: Jerry Felper <felperg@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 08:51:29 -0700

Bullwinkle wrote:

> Bob:
>
> My 1945-1960 Lucas parts book shows that the Lucas number for the
> late TD and all TF cars dynamo to be 22265A/B.  Besides having a
> bigger output than the C39PV, the C39PV-2 generators used a
> longer rear bush: 0.875 verses 0.750 for the former.
>
> FWIW: The brass lubricator on the back of the generator is
> refered to as an "oiler" and just recently I read in one of my
> books that oil is to be used periodically besides the grease?
> Two years ago I made an extended tour with a new (modern) battery
> and had to reduce the charge rate from the recommeded settings as
> the battery kept "boiling" over.  When I got home, I had to
> completely strip the TD's battery compartment and wash it down
> with soda.

The two coil regulators used on all "T" types only regulates voltage. It
can not control current as does the three coil units. The voltage
setting should be around 15.5VDC. That is why a bad battery can burn out
a generator. It continues to try to bring the voltage up to the
regulation point and supplies too much current for it own good. The
TA/TB and early TCs had a three brush generator which could control the
output current.

Jerry Felper