Spending Quality Time with a 75 Midget

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Spending Quality Time with a 75 Midget
From: BJCJ1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 22:49:07 EDT
I have come to my wits end with my 75 Midget.  I was wondering if anyone has
an idea.  Its a first, normally my questions deal with my 55 TF....I think my
75 Midget just got jealous.

Anyway, I do not have any spark to the plugs.  I replaced the coil, and still
no spark.

    1.  I checked the ground to the engine, its good.
    2.  I have 12 v to the coil's positive side.
    3.  The 3 leads to the distributer all have 12v on them.
    4.  I have 12v to the ballast resistor, and it reads 9 ohms when tested.
    5.  There is no spark at the plug wire from the coil to the distributer.

Oddly enough, I have 12v on both sides of the coil.  Not sure why, other then
the negative side of the coil has two leads.  One lead is from the TACH which
has 12v going to it from the fuse block.  At this point I am thinking that
the distributor is bad, but to be honest, not sure if I remember my theory
right.  A friend of mine has convinced me that I should get spark, even if
the distributer electronic points is bad.  I was thinking the electronic
pickup on the 75 Midget distributor controls the firing of the coil to retard
or advance the spark.  Thats why I was thinking the distributer is bad.

Does it sound like I replaced the coil with a new one that is bad? Or does
the Ballast resister sound bad?  Or go for the gusto and break the piggy bank
for a new Mallory Distributer?

Or maybe I should just spend some quality time with my 75 MIdget

Thanks
Bob Johnson
Freehold, NJ