Re: Trafficators

To: tedgantz <tgantz@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Trafficators
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:54:17 -0600
tedgantz wrote:

> In early January Carl Fritz described is successful approach to
> installing turn signals  on a TC. I would like to find a source for a
> turn signal switch which I can mount unobtrusively below the dash in a
> TA. I have been working with NTG in England on parts and this is what
> they told me.
>
> "I have a Vacuum switch that's fitted to the MGA and offered for use on
> the TD/TF.It is about 2.5" long and about 2" round and works by using a
> greased leather washer inside the cylinder with a spring pushing against
> the washer. To me it is a very primitive arrangement and @ 94.49 pounds
> sterling very expensive. We did offer a few years ago a clockwork
> switch, which worked as a timer. You would turn the knob left or right,
> which would then make the electrical connection for the indicators. The
> clockwork mechanism then un-sprung itself to eventually return to its
> center position breaking the circuit. This was a much better idea,
> unfortunately I can no longer find a source."
>
> Does anyone know of a source for such a switch or have a suggestion for
> another switch available for turn signal switch.

Strange, the second sort is what was on the TC I bought in 1956. You
could hear the little gears whining as it returned to center. This exact
same switch was on both Morris Minors I drove in Canada, one in 1960 and
one in 1964, and also the 1956 MGA I bought in 1964. Never seen one of
the washers ones.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com