Clarification: No Oil Pressure

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Clarification: No Oil Pressure
From: "Scott Allen" <s4usea@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:55:10 PDT
All,

Several listers have asked how I went about priming my oil
pump after re-building it.

First off, I need to point out that the pump I have does
not have the priming plug on top of it.  Looking in my
manual this may mean I have an early pump.  Oh well.

In any event, when I got the pump back from the re-build
I also got instructions on how to prime it and pressurize the
engine.  Which I pretty much followed.  I did the following:

1)  Coated the gears in a graphite moly grease so I wouldn't
burn then up during the priming process.

2)  Removed the plug where the oil filter connects to the pump,
and topped it off with oil.

3)  Removed the spark plugs.

4)  Since there is no priming plug on top of the cover, I was
instructed to use the brass plug in the block above the oil
pump.  I'd top it off, and then crank the engine with the
starter 25 or so revs.  I'd then top it off and repeat until
it started spitting out oil when I cranked the engine.  This
supposedly would tell me that the pump was primed.

5)  I removed the valve cover and cleaned out all the excess
oil.  I then cranked the engine until oil was coming up the
channel into the head.

At this time I noticed that my gauge wasn't reading any pressure,
but I didn't think anything of it as the rockers were off
getting re-bushed, and as such weren't in.

That's it.  What if anything did I do wrong?

Best and thanks for all the responses,

Scott Allen