Re: TF axle ratio

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: TF axle ratio
From: "Charles F. Inman" <FloydInman@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:07:24 -0400
For the first time in my life I must disagree with Lawrie's response.

I converted my 53 TD to the MGA 4.33 gear ratio many year ago (around 20 as
I recall) and have had excellent results. I can cruise at freeway speeds
(around 65 mph) without beating the engine to death and have but minimal
problems on steep grades.

And, like Lawrie, I live in real mountains.

For those of you that were fortunate enough to have attended the GoF West
1997 you will recall the grade that must be pulled between Salt Lake City
and Park City. You gain over three thousand feet of altitude in about 15
miles. I live in Park City and make that trip 15-20 times each summer.
Granted, I do not pull it in forth gear, but third works just fine.

The trade-off for high end travel on the flats is well worth the
occassional use of third fear.

Floyd Inman