Re: T's

To: <jspeiser@erols.com>
Subject: Re: T's
From: Jonathan Butler <j-butler@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 10:59:25 +0100
At 20:22 08/04/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Unrestored?  You must have had at least one engine rebuild . . . right?
>What are the other minimal things you have needed to do to keep it on the
>road all these years?  Congratulations on having a running TD!
>John Speiser
>'53 TD Chassis # 27653 built in May '53

John,
By unrestored I meant never had a rebuild rather than never had a
repair!!.
It was continually in real daily use until 1983 since then not so much
but I calculated by then it had done 90000 miles in my hands and
goodness knows what before.
I am afraid to say I became very familiar with the innards of an
XPAG during that time as being an impoverished student the scrapyards
were my normal spares source. In fact I think I must have the best part
of a ton or more of T bits all well used at my mothers house still!.
The main weakness in the engine I found was the breaking of piston
rings on number 2 cylinder. All the old scrapyard engines had this
problem and it will lead to piston fracture. (yep, had that at tickover
at some traffic lights).
So, original is the body tub, wings, trim etc. Repaired is the gearbox
(new bearings and layshaft with rollers) and the axle has a 4.8/1
ratio crownwheel etc fitted from a Wolsley back axle (2 UKP from scrapyard)
some years ago. BTW, in my ignorance just stuck it in and it runs quietly
in spite of all the stuff about spacers in the book. Lucky I think.
The engine is a multicoloured assembly of bits replaced from the pile when
needed and actually goes rather well.
The whole makes people ask how I get it through our MoT (test for road
worthiness) but it is better underneath than it looks.
Still have the usual 60's mod of a couple of ironmongers door sliding bolts
replacing the door locks so the doors do not fly open of course.
Right, I have got so enthusiastic typing this I am going to go to the office
this afternoon in it in spite of the rain.
Cheers to all.
Jonathan Butler, Shropshire, UK.
Jonathan Butler FOA G4JOW
Butler & Co, Solicitors, Albert Place, Donnington, Telford, TF2 8AF.
01952 608060 fax 01952 606179 home 01952 550731