PA-0531

To: "MG-MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: PA-0531
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:16:27 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Howdy,
Guess this is getting to be a pain, but I have more questions than answers
re PA-0531.  I'm working on a new wiring harness installation and this
required removal of the front side lights and front fender braces from the
headlight brackets. Now the car has ribbed cycle fenders and they were ( I
think ) improperly mounted. They were too far inwards as the main large
chrome headed bolts were installed OUTSIDE the rib and the two octagonal
side lights were installed inside the rib. Looked weird and the cycle
fenders were not centered on the front tires. Looking at many MG books, I
think the fenders should be centered on the wheels and the side lights
should be centered on the rib in the middle of the fenders. I have no
problem welding up holes in the fenders and re-drilling. I don't like the
colour of the cycle fenders anyway so will re-paint when properly mounted. .
So the questions are:
1-How are the top of the fender and side lights mounted to the fender
support stay??  Currently the fender support stay ends in a flat washer
shaped area which accepted the chrome headed , square shouldered, mounting
bolt.
2- How does the fender side light bolt to the wing? I'm assuming through the
center of the rib and then a fat rubber under the octagonal side light to
make it fit nicely to the ribbed fender.
3-How is the fender held onto the support stay? I assume only by the front
1/4" BSF side light bolt going through the support stay. Lower rear edge of
fender is bolted to the regular type cycle fender bracket off the chassis
using a large chrome headed, square shoulder,  bolt.
4-I assume the octagonal side lights should sit horizontally on the very top
of the fender when viewed from the side?

Any advice and suggestions appreciated.
Thanks, Bob Grunau
PA-0531