RE: PA-0531 gearbox ( was flywheel clanging noise)

To: "Peter Green" <p.green@mgk3.co.uk>, "MG-MMM" <mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: PA-0531 gearbox ( was flywheel clanging noise)
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:19:59 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks Peter,
Absolutely right. I think I found the reason for the "clanging", the thrust
plate pieces were being chewed to pieces by the ring gear. The trust
plate/operating disc is in many pieces, only about 1/3 of it remains as
shrapnel bits. I didn't realize it was missing although I did wonder how the
four clutch fingers would operate against the throw-out ball bearing. And we
have four springs waving in the wind as well. I do have a spare operating
disc but all four finger recesses are "dented" so may not be useful. Are
replacement operating discs aluminum or steel?

Now what about questions 2,3,4 and 5??  :-)
Thanks, Bob

Bob,

The only part of a P-type clutch that is aluminium is the thrust plate which
fits onto the four operating fingers and presses against the thrust bearing.
This plate would have four brass rivets in it as these rivets hold the
lining in place. Is your thrust plate still in one piece?

Peter Green.