RE: PA crown wheel and pinion nosepiece - a silly question

To: "Gill.Morbey" <gd.morbey@virgin.net>, <mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: PA crown wheel and pinion nosepiece - a silly question
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 11:18:40 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Dick,
There are no "silly questions". I hope you get a hundred similar answers to
mine re your question. No, the pinion shaft should NOT move in the housing.
To do so will surely ruin the CWP if you install it with 3/16" end movement.
The shop either did not install the inter bearing spacer or have left the
pinion nut loose. Either way, strip the thing apart and find out why the end
play. There should be NONE.
I personally prefer to use tapered roller bearimngs in the CWP, pinion and
carrier bearings. A bit more work to set up but much stronger than the
original single row ball thrust bearing in the pinion.
Best regards. Must go and stuff the turkey.
And a Merry Christmas and happy driving in the New Year to all. May all your
restorations be complete ( mine won't ).
Bob, PA-0531, J2-3017 ( neither running right now )
Bob Grunau
150 Pinewood Trail,
Mississauga, Ontario,
Canada, L5G-2L1
905-274-4136

I've just had a small job done on the nosepiece of my PA's cwp assembly to
insert an oil seal.  A kind of triple-M rhinoplasty, I daresay...

The assembly has come back to me assembled as previously, and I have yet to
instal it into the main gear housing.

Before doing that, I note that the pinion now slides lengthwise (rearwards)
within the housing by about 3/16 of an inch from the front "stop".
Previously I was not aware of any such movement.  The bearings are fine,
with no shake in any plane, and the pinion is located firmly at the forward
end of its travel - which I believe is where the thrust occurs.

Do I merely insert the nosepiece into the main housing and check for
end-float as usual?

Or does it sound like the nosepiece assembly needs further attention - I
said it was a silly question....

Meanwhile - back to the Christmas turkey - best wishes to all.

Dick Morbey

PA 0743