PA crown wheel and pinion nosepiece - a silly question

To: <mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: PA crown wheel and pinion nosepiece - a silly question
From: "Gill.Morbey" <gd.morbey@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:42:34 -0000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Dear All,

I've just had a small job done on the nosepiece of my PA's cwp assembly to
insert an oil seal.  A kind of triple-M rhinoplasty, I daresay...

The assembly has come back to me assembled as previously, and I have yet to
instal it into the main gear housing.

Before doing that, I note that the pinion now slides lengthwise (rearwards)
within the housing by about 3/16 of an inch from the front "stop".
Previously I was not aware of any such movement.  The bearings are fine,
with no shake in any plane, and the pinion is located firmly at the forward
end of its travel - which I believe is where the thrust occurs.

Do I merely insert the nosepiece into the main housing and check for
end-float as usual?

Or does it sound like the nosepiece assembly needs further attention - I
said it was a silly question....

Meanwhile - back to the Christmas turkey - best wishes to all.

Dick Morbey

PA 0743