Second verse - Re: Lights- head lamps-

To: mgtom@bright.net
Subject: Second verse - Re: Lights- head lamps-
From: DB35PA@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:11:42 EDT
Cc: mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
To Tom, Lew, Hiro, et al.

Based our your combined information (thank you very much) I have done a  more
thorough examination of the lights I now have. Starting with the "easy one"
first.

First light
8 inch Lucas with U flute lens (Does the U go up or down?)
Stock # is Lucas L 140.
Could not find date stamp but did find a lengthy message about how to  remove
the reflector stamped in lip, under the rim piece.
Hand etched inside the rim is the #33321. Looks like it might be a stock
number for a repro rim?

Reflector is held to shell via 3 small "ears" in reflector rim which grasp
rim of shell when twisted.

Rim is held on to shell via a small metal tab, soldered inside rim,  opposite
fixing clamp. Fixing bolt can be partially loosened to pass over a U  shaped
bracket and tightened. Problem: there is no corresponding "slot" in shell  for
tab in the rim. I can cut (drill out) one but again leads me to guess rim is
incorrect repro. Unless you spot something, it will be an easy fix to make
rim  work.

Dipping light

8 inch Lucas with U flute lens
Brand is Lucas  but (due to rechroming) only the letters TYP are  showing
Again, no date stamp but did find same message, same place
Same hand etched number inside the rim.

Reflector is smaller (7 inches) without a mounting lip. Two 1/8" holes  are
centered on the edges left and right. Appear to be swivel points but swivel
pins long gone.

 A separate dipping mechanism includes a rim with the basic 3 "ears"  and
mounts like first reflector. The dipping mechanism is fully wired and  also
includes a small glass fuse. It appears a spring and actuating piece are
missing.
It consists of an electromagnet and small wiring block for various  connecting
points.
An additional piece of the dipping mechanism is attached to the back  of the
reflector.
Interestingly, there are also two very small holes in the reflector, near
the top and bottom edges as if someone tried to "lock" the light in the on
position.

This time, the rim appears to be held to the shell at the top with a  small
pin (missing) opposite the fixing clamp. The fixing bolt must them be  removed
and passed through two brackets (loosely fitted to shell and rim) and
tightened. When fully assembled it looks just like the other. Problem and
proposed
solution: Solder small pin to top of shell to fit in rim.
Based on rust, reflectors and overall condition, I believe I have original
lights, but not necessarily the rims. I have no way of telling if these
particular lights were original to this car ... or if "dipping" was ever wired
in
to the system as all original wiring, back to the cutout/fusebox was ripped
out before I bought it.
My current plans are to replace the reflectors and mount two filament
halogen bulbs. I will safely store away the partial dipping system for someone
who
really needs and wants it.

I really appreciate the history lessons on "dipping" and any further advice
as I move foreword.

Don B.
PS Lew, replaced distributor with Bosch system. Original did not have
micro-adjustment screw.