Re: balancing and truing PA wheels

To: <DB35PA@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: balancing and truing PA wheels
From: "Mike Hughes" <hughes.c.m@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:36:32 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
New car manufacturers "index" the wheels and tires prior to mating them.
This involves determining the "heavy" point on the tire and the "light"
point on the wheel and mounting the tire on the wheel so that the two points
match.  This gives a wheel and tire assembly that is as inherently balanced
as possible before fine tuning with balance weights.  The larger the
diameter of the wheel, the more critical this becomes.

With a little trial and error it is possible to approximate this procedure
with your wheels and tires.  Remember that the tube is aligned with the hole
in the wheel.  So inflate it a just bit and place it on the wheel before
indexing the wheel!

- Mike Hughes  -t?t-