MMM. Ebay-Paypal Scam

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: MMM. Ebay-Paypal Scam
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 22:22:54 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Listers,

I would like to make you aware of a scam that arrived in my e-mail this
morning.
It regards Paypal, which is an Ebay company for auction purchases and money
wiring. If you have this form of account for payments watch out for the
following.

The senders address even has a Paypal address. The letter was addressed "Dear
Paypal User." It advised to click on the given link and update your account
details with Paypal. On opening the link it goes to what  looks exactly like
Paypal's webpage. After signing in it requests you to update personal details.

I became suspicious and logged on to Paypal via my favorites, on their home
page it gives details of this scam. I hadn't used the account for a while so
hadn't been on their site. I assume the scam wasn't to get access to the
miserly
sum in Paypal but to steal your financial identity. The main criteria for
receiving messages from Paypal is that they always address you by name as
opposed
to Paypal User.

Brian Kelly.
USA.