RE: PA bonnet hinge

To: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Subject: RE: PA bonnet hinge
From: "Viv James TraX Interconnect (Pty.) Ltd" <viv@trax.co.za>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:05:31 +0200
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
From:                   "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
To:                     "Viv James TraX Interconnect \(Pty.\) Ltd"
<viv@trax.co.za>
Date sent:              Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:17:40 +0100

The original bonnet for my car was damaged in a fire before I got the
car but I salvaged the hinge and transferred it onto a bonnet I got at
Silverstone a couple of years ago. I should have sent this email
before spotwelding!
Too late now, we have nearly finished a massive shrinking exercise
on both bonnet tops and no ways will I disturb the hinge again. Spot
welding stainless onto mild steel is not easy!

Another interesting thing we found was the hardness of the bonnet
surface which made the body file slide without cutting. maybe this is
an age thing. The only way we could dress the surface and attempt to
remove the hard surface was to grease the inside and fill it with
cement first! This worked OK.

Hi Viv,
yes definitely unpainted, but not really matt.

Your hinge is spotwelded to the bonnet, ant that makes
polishing (specially in the corner) extremely difficult.
But perhaps you find a skilled polisher ?

I found that rubbing with a really fine emery paper
sometimes results in more diffuse-shiny than polished.

Gerhard

>>Interesting approach Gerhard, so you think it should have an
>>unpainted matt finish?
>>
>>The consensus so far has been buffed and shiny.
>>
>>At least I know it must not be painted and yes you are right about
the
>>chips. I have a painted hinge on my '29 Sunbeam Specialand this
has
>>chipped over the years in a sort of workmanlike way.
>>
>>Viv
---