RE: Mandrel for front bearing housing alignment

To: "Alex and Dorothy Dempster" <aldoc@xtra.co.nz>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mandrel for front bearing housing alignment
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:31:58 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Alex,
I understand what you mean with a mandrel for aligning the front
bearing housing.
Sometimes those are quite complicated tools, and not easy to make.

They also neglect possible right-angle problems with the components
of your 70 years old dynamo (dynamo-baseplate or dynamo-body).

I made a simple mandrel, which is just a 1 3/8" steel bar, with one end pointed
.
After fitting the dynamo, you put this mandrel from top into the hole of the
cyl.-head, and watch if the pointed end meets the centre of the dynamo-shaft.

Sideways movements of the engine front-housing you achieve by turning it
by the amount of play in the stud-holes, after removing the two locating-dowels,
back or forward by altering the thickness of the gasket between block and
housing.

With a new block you even sometimes have to use no gasket and have to press
the cyl.-head as much forward as possible, before tightening the nuts !

We all know how important the alignment of the dynamo is.
If not done carefully, the vertical-drive bearings, the coupling-disk,
and,or the dynamo-top-bearing could be wrecked.

Cheers,    Gerhard

---