Malcolm Campbell Wheels

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Malcolm Campbell Wheels
From: Cnowlan@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:33:59 EST
Cc: SCULPTART@aol.com
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

       I'm another lucky guy with one of these neat 17" dia O.D. wheels.
While they may be slightly more flexible than a conventional Brooklands wheel
they
are far stiffer than the standard 17" O.D. three spoke MMM Wheels.  These
wheels were often seen on the racing models.  They also have heavy finger grips
which are formed in the tubular metal frame with only a very thin acetate
covering. (The standard 3 spoke wheel has a "tire track" pattern on the outer
edge
which seems impossible to replicate.)
       I've completed the restoration of my wheel to a very high standard
thanks to Tom Metcalf, Ben Cordsen and a great plater who is now out of
business.
 Tom supplied some great round head non-slotted machine screws which when
installed look exactly like the chrome rivets.  They are well polished and look
like chrome.  After I carefully drilled out the old rivets, my plater carefully
filled in the pits with copper plating, and then polished out and reprofilled
before final plating.  Tom Corden in Colorado (sculptart@aol.com ) did a
great job of casting up new spoke covers that have all of the details of the
originals.  He made molds off the original covers which I had carefully saved
and
cast them in place.  Ben also made a mold to impress the rim with the Blumels
logo, patent #'s etc as found on the backside of the original rim.  The hub
which incorporates the MG Logo was lightly polished prior to final assembly.
       The wheel is now perfect, looks great and gives me something
worthwhile to hang onto during exciting maneuvers!

Cheers,

Chris