MMM Block problem

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: MMM Block problem
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:00:55 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hello Listers,

I have developed a problem with the PA block that I have. Single breather.
57mm plus 0.060".

Number four cylinder has a hole in to the water jacket. The block was bored
out 3000 miles ago. It was stripped down because of an unrelated problem.
During this time I found a small pin hole in the cylinder. After I had cleaned
it
out with a screw driver it now measures about 3/16" deep and 3/4" around the
circumference of the bore.

Re-sleeving it would be no problem except for the fact that the hole is
located directly at the bottom of the water jacket. This puts it below the top
level of the recesses for the throw over of the conrods. Hence when the bore is
sleeved the point where the hole lies hasn't got the meat of the block
surrounding it completely due to the recesses which have also been slightly
enlarged to
compensate for using Carrillo rods.

More than one machinist has said that it would leak at this point and showed
no enthusiasm for success. The hole ends about 3/4" away from the nearest
recess. They said coolant would track and open it and leak. They were not
conversant with any modern or high tech substance that could be used when
inserting
the liner either as a sealer or gluing effect.

Due to the location of the recess a "wet liner" couldn't be used. That's out.
The machinist that I have chosen to use has said "What else are you going to
do?"
Which leaves me only to try it.  I have no doubt that the wall will collapse
at some point when boring. Presumably there are many MMMs running around with
only part of a liner as the bore.

My question to you, is there a product that could be used when inserting the
liner and in effect sealing where ever it registers?

All experience, good and bad, greatly appreciated.
Obviously it isn't going to be at The Queen Mary next month (GoF West.) but
I'll be there to kick tyres and "sink a few."

Hope to see all  the regulars there and then some.

Regards,

Brian Kelly.