Re: Castrol R Oil Quandry

To: Chris Nowlan <cnowlan@aol.com>, MG MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Castrol R Oil Quandry
From: "J.E.A.Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:39:32 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Chris,

Wonderful news re your L2, sorry I won't get to see it at the Q.M.

The first car I ever owned I built myself when I came home after the war 56
years ago. The Aurifo Special was powered by a good old Ford 10, 1172 cc
side valve engine that I got from a wartime mobile fire pump complete with
Scintella Vertex magneto. I don't know if it was standard procedure for the
fire department to run those engines on Castrol R but that's what my engine
had so I stuck with it. After many years and 110,000 miles I finally sold
the car when my wife said it wasn't big enough for the 4 of us!

I had many friends who like me, raced, rallied and trialsed their Ford
powered cars, but I didn't know anybody else who was using Castrol R, and
nobody was getting more than 20 - 25,000 miles out of an 1172 engine.

If you can manage with just the magnificent odour, then by all means
thoroughly flush your rebuilt engine with parafin (sorry, kerosene) and
follow it with some straight 30 weight oil and finally with what you plan to
run it on. If you're not going to use a vegetable based oil you really do
need to get it all out of there before you use a mineral oil.

Put a couple of ounces of Castor Oil in the fuel tank for odour enhancement
every time you fill it up! Please don't get me started on additives - they
are what's wrong with today's petrol.

Cheers, "Bob".