RE: P-type distributor

To: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>, "J.E.A.Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>, "Anderson, Phil" <panderson@northpark.edu>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: P-type distributor
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 21:23:53 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
 Boys,
Am I correct in saying the rotation of a 4 cylinder MMM car distributor is
clockwise when viewed from the top? If so, a Lucas distributor from a
1939-54 Hillman Minx has clockwise rotation ( top view ),   Distributor
number is DKYH4A-40050. This has 10 degrees advance.
Or try DKYH4A-40074, 1946-48 Triumph 1800, 17 degrees advance.
The 10 degree advance plate can easily be modified to give greater automatic
advance by drilling out the weight stop holes in the advance plate.
Nice thing about these distributors is they use the many of the same parts
as XPAG T type distributors, ie body, points, condenser plate and condenser,
cam, cap. Therefore parts are readily available.
However the advance plate, weights and rotor are different because of the
opposite rotation to the T-type ( which is counter-clockwise when viewed
from the top ). .
May not be quite original closer than a Bosch??
Regards from Canada, Bob Grunau
.
Hi Bob,
must be very early beetles which had Lucas DK4A dizzys !!
Maybe with a minimum of modification you even could use the engine ?

Excuse the joke Bob, but if you try Barry Walker or similar sources,
you always have a chance to find a DK4A, and you avoid that little
step away from originality.
Gerhard