Sleep aid! your Head

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Sleep aid! your Head
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:00:17 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Gentle Folk of the MMM list....lately I have been rereading copies of old
yearbooks. I can highly recommend this for putting you to sleep!
Last night I read the first issue of the Yearbook, 1970.  In it is an article
by Geoff Coles giving chapter and verse on rebuilding your engines
head....here is the puzzler and what kept me dreaming all night!

in Step 17, right after he tells you to reassemble the valves and springs, he
sez: Put some sealing compound - Wellseal is the best - on top of the valve
so that it soaks down the cotters or circlip.  This ensures that too much oil
does not go down the guide, as quite a lot usually collect on top of the
spring cap, when the engine is running.

This seems a strange way to seal the valve guides to me, but I'm just a
newcomer.......

What's the general view of this advice these days??

Cheers
Terry