RE: Oil Return pipe

To: "MMM mail-contact" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Subject: RE: Oil Return pipe
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:32:59 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Lew,

no response (at least through the list) concerning your mystery
with the plug on the oil return-pipe.
I too have no idea what for it is.

1. The most obvious reason could be that someone
    needed a oil-return to the sump, but at that level,
    it only could be from a leaking vertical-drive.

2. Someone could have used this fitting for a pressure-less
    oil-supply for a supercharger. Perhaps with the same
    system which is used when you withdraw rain-water
    from a rain-pipe at the corner of the house.

3. Unlikely is the idea that someone used that fitting,
    to fix a temperature-feeler for measuring the temperature
    of the oil leaving the cyl.-head.

4. The reason why just this pipe is chromed, could be
    that once it came from another P-engine whose owner
    liked chroming on all pipes.

I know my thoughts can't solve your mystery, but every little helps.

Regards,  Gerhard