Reduction box's & Right angle drives

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Reduction box's & Right angle drives
From: Cnowlan@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 12:47:47 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

       J2's from chassis # J3576 originally were fitted with an in-line
reduction box fitted to the gearbox. This looked very similar to a T-series
tach reduction box but actually contained four gears and had a ratio of
100/143. These were also fitted to later L-types.  The part # for these
gearbox's was A461. Only governor type speedo heads for these cars did not
get the reduction box. ( the early type with the oval separate windows for
the trip odo)
       Most J's and L's are missing these which explains why so many owners
report inaccurate speedos ( changed rear axle ratios compound the problem)
My swept wing J2 still has the original reduction gearbox along with the
separate leather gaiter.
       I acquired an excellent gearbox repro from L2 owner David Naylor in
the UK some years ago.  These were pricey but nicely done.
       I believe that the P-N types only used a 1:1 right angle drive to
allow for a neater  fitment of the speedo cable.

Cheers,
Chris Nowlan