Re: More Head Studs and other stuff

To: "Gene Gillam" <anngene@bellsouth.net>, <TATERRY@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More Head Studs and other stuff
From: "tom metcalf" <mgtom@bright.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 06:47:14 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
TA, we had the head on & off the F engine many times before final torque
down. Yup, new studs are a pain to get the exact length. We committed some
real sin and used modern super hard head studs, washers, and nuts - UNC in
the deck and UNF on the top. We can now use SAE tools for torqueing.

The most important thing to remember is the dynamo must align perfectly with
the head. Of course, all this needs to be checked and rechecked prior to
final ass'y. It should be torqued to the front nose piece and  an alignment
tool inserted down through the torqued head cam drive hole. Then, on final
ass'y, the two 1/4" bolts on the drive yoke should drop right in the two
holes in the drive unit above the dynamo.

We're using anaerobic on the intake side of things.    MC   tommm