Re: MMMs are Negative Earth

To: "John T. Seim" <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: MMMs are Negative Earth
From: Pat Mullen <pmullen@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:54:49 -0800
Cc: NA-MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi John,

Your memory is correct about electrons flowing from negative to
positive. They still do. However when analysing transistors it is often
easier to look upon the electron flow in one direction as being "holes"
(or "places where an electron could be but isn't") flowing in the other
direction.
Thus we have come round a full circle, because 200 years ago when
scientists had no idea what "current flow" was, they arbitrarily decided
to state that "current flow was from + to -", a convention we still use
today.

I hope this doesn't make confusion worse confounded.

My comment about "what other polarity was there?" was meant to indicate
that almost all practical designers up to the 1920s and early thirties
just accepted the convention and allocated ground or earth to negative.
They didn't think it important - and why rock the boat?
It's interesting for me to learn that White Truck's designer had a mind
of his own. Many thanks for the info.

Cheers ..... Pat