Re: MMMs are Negative Earth

To: "J.E.A. Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: MMMs are Negative Earth
From: "Brian J Rainbow" <brian@brianjrainbow.free-online.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 20:48:19 -0000
Cc: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Bob,
       you are partially right, I dropped a bollock on the P type , having
looked at Blower again (which dosn't show battery polarity) and a copy of
the Lucas W320 wiring diagram (which does), they were negative earth!
However TAs and TB's (both pre-war) were positive earth. I have wired my P
type positive earth as I followed my TA wiring diagram using a CJR3 (same as
TA) that I had rather than the correct CJR2 for the PA. When I fitted the
new loom I could not read the diagram in my copy of Blower, so used the
Lucas TA diagram (the only one I had at the time) as a basis. ...
  Just goes to show that you soon forget what you did a few years ago, and
sitting at a keyboard it is very easy to make a mistake, the good thing is
you soon get corrected!!

Incidently, a couple of months ago I changed the cutout (CJR2/3) on a
friends NA, unfortunately the guy who supplied the rebuilt cutout got into a
mess trying to subsitute them!! He took a wire off the old and transferred
it to the new, but after moving a few wires there was not enough slack in
the loom, he then started extending the wires!!  I spent most of the
afternoon sorting it out for him, working from an old enlarged copy of the
Blowers N type diagram suitably adapted by the previous owner who restored
the car. The moral of it was, if you have to do this spend a lot of time
drawing your own diagrams of what wires are on every terminal screw of the
cutout, and the way the cables lay!  Then remove the old cutout and wire in
the new one following the drawings you have made. That way it is a lot
easier!

Happy days, Brian Rainbow... PA0777 and TA2551