Re: MMMs are Negative Earth

To: Mike Hughes <hughes.c.m@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: MMMs are Negative Earth
From: Pat Mullen <pmullen@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:21:25 -0800
Cc: NA-MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Mike,

I can send you a readable copy of the wiring diagram from my copy of the
original "Instruction Manual" for the L Magna models, 2nd edition, dated
Jan 1934. Let me know if you want it and whether you prefer email or
snailmail.

Brian Rainbow (I have no grounds for doubting the positive quality of
his leg-pulling) is, I admit, quite correct about the T-types and
following MG models. All T-types were originally POSITIVE GROUND, even
your TA.

I have checked a number of wiring diagrams for British cars made
immediately prior to the 1939-45 war and most of the 1937-39 models were
indeed POS GRD. Until I checked this today I had always thought that the
changeover to POS GRD was made during the war for most cars. I'm so
ignorant that I learn new things every day.

ALL MMM cars were NEGATIVE GROUND. The very early models such as the M
and D did not even have the polarity marked on the wiring diagrams -
what other polarity was there in 1931 for a designer to use? The later
MMMs' wiring diagrams all clearly show NEG GRD. Blower agrees with this
- but then his famous book merely reproduced the factory Instruction
Manuals' diagram.

Cheers ..... Pat