Fuel Reserve-System

To: "kevin allocca" <kevin-allocca@msn.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Reserve-System
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:43:15 +0200
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Kevin,

The petrol-system on your P should consist of the two
pipes, coming from the main and reserve outlet of the tank.

Both pipes enter into different branches of a 3-way
reserve-tap fitted to the firewall.

At your dashboard you have a octagonal handle with
"Main&Reserve" engravement.
This handle is connected with a long steel-rod to the
reserve-tap on the firewall.

Depending which way you turn the handle, you alter
the passage in the tap, and you let suck your
petrol-pump from the main or reserve pipe.
(By the way in neutral it is a nice anti-theft device)

Original taps are difficult to find, and the innards (cork),
are not easy to maintain.
So the replacement-taps sold by suppliers do the job,
but are not at all satisfying for those who want originality !

At Beaulieu or Silverstone there always is a chance to find
the right thing.
A original-looking casting of the handle at the dashboard
is offered sometimes by the well known MG-part suppliers.

By direct mail to you Kevin I will send photos of the dismantled
system, which I have taken out of my N-type, and put on the scanner.

If somebody else interested to see them, he is welcome, and
should give me a note.

Cheers,  Gerhard