Re: PA/PB Gearboxes

To: panderson@northpark.edu, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PA/PB Gearboxes
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:01:59 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/22/2002 11:21:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
panderson@northpark.edu writes:

> I recall reading something about how the PA and PB gearboxes can be
> identified by their external markings on the case, but I can't seem to find
> where I saw it. My recollection is that the PA box may have been stamped
> 135 and the PB box 165 (or was it 165 and 185?). I am curious because the
> original box in my PA was replaced by the works in November 1935, and I am
> hoping, naturally, that I have the better ratios of the PB (of course, it
> may have been replaced again at a later date).
>
> At any rate, mine is stamped 165. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
>
> Phil Anderson
> PA1212

Hi Phil,

Not a definitive reply but for what it's worth,

The crankcases for the P-Types were stamped 135 for the early single breather
and 165 for the later double breather.

The gear boxes were stamped by their "model code number".
Mine is an early PA hence the 135 stamp on the block and the gear box.
>From this I presume that a 165 stamping on the box doesn't necessarily
indicate that it's a PB close coupled ratio, could it be a double breather
PA. You could jack the car up and turn the engine by crank one revolution and
see how many turns on the propshaft in first gear. The ratios are given in
Blower's.
The 4/10 stamp at the opposite end of the P-type box indicates the speedo
drive ratio.

Brian Kelly.