Re: P type

To: "Andrew Fock" <awfock@optushome.com.au>
Subject: Re: P type
From: "Pip Bucknell" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 06:16:20 +1000
Cc: "MMM List UK" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Andrew,

Thanks for the photos.

I did not do anything about the handbrake. Your question makes me ask have you
pointed me in the direction of yet another factory modification  to the
P-something that I had ?  The P-type that Ian George had was originally
factory fitted with pre selector box & was un supercharged.  May be you can
have a look at that car.  The bloke with the blue Austin Healy owns it, I
think.

It is interesting that there are several types of preselector gearbox casings
and that it appears to me that you are using one from a non racing car. I have
speculated for a few years, if these are as strong inside.  P-types can
produce good power outputs, although I suspect they are not as good in the
torque department as their 6 cylinder buddies.

That is a novel way of doing the remote control for the preselector.  I am
interested how you changed the lateral movement of the gear lever to work on
the up/down movement needed with the pre selector selection.

You can buy preselector remotes in UK.  They would cost about the same as the
blower I mentioned.  Do remember that there is a bloke in NZ who may make some
in the future.

I also note you have changed the drive output from the gearbox.  Any special
reason ?

I venture to say, that in my opinion, it is a bit of a shame you drilled the
P-type gear selector turret.  I could have sent you one I had made up and you
then could have maintained the original turret for some one in need.  But,
each to his own, hey?

So, at least your project is moving along.  Could be you will even be finished
before I complete my car.  It has been a very big job getting the engine to
release the power I was seeking but I am happy where we are at with the power
plant.  It is a bit of a shame that it now sits awaiting the rest of the
chassis.  Hopefully we will see some more work on that over the next 6 months.
Unfortunately I have not been particularly well and I need to push on with the
project.

Cheers

Pip