RE: NA Head Studs

To: "john Neighbour" <john@johnneighbour.com>
Subject: RE: NA Head Studs
From: " Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:59:26 +0100
Cc: "MMM mail-contact" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hello John,
I use about 30 lb.ft. to tighten my cyl.-head nuts,
but on a NA-engine I am a bit nervous with the two
studs at the front, and give those nuts not more than 20 lb.ft.

I know this is no good engineering, but on the NA they
used the big diameter AT174 dynamo, and not the
thinner DDS14, as on most other models.
To give this N-type dynamo enough clearance at the top,
the front on original N-block is slightly machined just in the
area where we need the meat to hold the two front studs.
If the casting is cracked at this place,....oh dear !!

Concerning the quality of the stud-material, for a hard working
(or blown) engine a good modern steel with a rolled thread
gives you a positive feeling, but otherwise I have never seen
a broken head-stud on a standard road-car, even when old
studs were used again and again.

Cheers, Gerhard