Re: aluminium-bearings

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: aluminium-bearings
From: "Bill Traill" <bill@clovermachine.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:57:10 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Gerhard,

I can't advise you on your project much, but I do know aluminum
needs a good supply of oil...any interruption and it will gall quickly.
Many OHC engines have aluminum towers with the cam running
directly in the aluminum. Working in an automotive shop years
ago, I have seen the effects of low oil (someone not checking the
dip stick) on these bearings.

Also, white metal can absorb grit which was good in the days
before efficient oil filters.  With a modern "hard" bearing you will
need to install a spin-on oil filter as per existing write-ups for the J
and P types using insert shelled rods. Your aluminum bearinged
lawn-mower probably asks for a frequent oil change...10 to 20
hours?

Here is a web site for Federal-Mogul. About 1/2 way down the page
aluminum bearings are mentioned. Plus a lot of good info.
http://www.federal-
mogul.com/sealedpower/engine_bearings_federal_mogul.html
You may have to click your mail reader to "un-wrap the lines" to
get the above link to work directly.

Good luck....
Bill Traill