RE: Elkhart Lake Fall Vintage Rages

To: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Fall Vintage Rages
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:12:16 -0300
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I wasn't there most of Sunday, so I didn't see which of Deans cars
passed you, but the way to tell is that the KN Special (K3 replica) had
the slab tank. The real K3 had the boat-tail.

It was car #3 and listed as a K3, can't remember for sure if it was slab
tank or boat tail ( I think it was slab tank ). .Anyway, it was the ONLY
pre-war car to race. Martin had a best time of 4:02.316 in the rain. He
could have beat Bill Hollingsworth very fast TC which started 14th , best
time 4:04.885, except the K3 started from the back of the pack and had to
work its way all the way up to finishing 10th overall. Hell of a car and
driver!,  And BTW, when I said "sideways" in my earlier email, I should have
said a "controlled gentle drift".  I did not mean to imply the car was out
of control. Martin had it fully in control but driving it to its reasonable
and safe limit.
We had 60 MGs listed for the race, only 27 started and all finished the
race. It was rotten weather to race but I still I think a few more guys
should have raced in the rain. Some of us came a long way and it's a shame
not to go out.

 3:21 was an excellent time
in a TC!
Thanks, the car and I will do better next time at Elkhart Lake.
Bob

Regards,
Lew Palmer

Sunday was indeed a wash-out but many of us did race. Being passed in
the
rain on the carousel by the sideways Butler K3 ( or was it the KN? )
being
well driven by Martin Walford was neat.  I do not like rain racing so my
TC
and I were slower than we should have been. Did reasonable well in the
dry
with a best Saturday time of 3:21.068. Sunday wet time best time was
4:19.763, a bit scarry doing a hundred down the straights as straight
line
speed was not that much slower than dry. At least we raced and finished.
Bob Grunau
Green 48 TC #42

I just returned from a fabulous, albeit wet, weekend at Elkhart Lake. We
drove over in the TD - took about 7 hours. But what a surprise when we
got there! There were (by my count) 9 MMM cars there and RACING! Some
included Mac Reynolds and Frank Diaz, both in their own C-types, Bob
Sterling in the NA, Pete Thelander in the NE, Curtis Liposcak in a
borrowed J2 (supercharged), Dean Butler's K3 and KN special (K3
replica). I'm forgetting someone, so please pardon.

Other notables racing were Denver Cornett in his #7 TC, now 53 years on
from his first race in that very same car; Don Martine, and way too many
for this faded brain to remember.

Great weekend, but unfortunately, the Sunday was pretty much a wash out.
Many of the older cars simply packed up and went home. Two solid days of
really fun spectating, though.

Lew Palmer
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol