RE: PA Firewall seal

To: TATERRY@aol.com, britcars@juno.com, Bill707@aol.com
Subject: RE: PA Firewall seal
From: mgtom@bright.net
Date: 12 Jul 2001 22:10:46 -0500
Cc: cnowlan@mossmotors.com, mg-mmm@autox.team.net, MGtom@bright.net (Tom Metcalf)
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
> The seal in queston is not the one that Dee made up.  Dee made up the seal
> that goes around the firewall/gearbox/undertray.  I think youse guys are
> looking for the seal that is called the "bonnet rest"....top of the firewall.
>  Tom Metcalf should know, but is he reading this list?
> Terry

Yup, I'm reading the list. The seal is 1" X 1" with flat bottom and sides and
the top is similar to the letter "M" but round peaks and valley rather than
points. I had a piece made years ago for my black PB by a guy who worked at
Copper Tire. It's a bit too solid - as is the current J2, etc seal mat'l from
England. It should be open cell sponge with smooth skin. Unfortunately, my
friend got in trouble because it took an hour to extrude this stuff and I only
barely got enough for my PB. I think I have a few inches left over if anybody
wants to make a new die. The Sorbo sponge currently available from UK suppliers
is mediocre. tommm
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol