Re: J2 Brakes

To: "Bob Sterling" <Srsterl@theinter.com>
Subject: Re: J2 Brakes
From: "Andrew Fock" <awfock@netspace.net.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:08:37 +1000
Cc: "MG Pre-war" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I didn't know the answer! The linings
are a Bendix material called B38. It is a woven material with copper threads
running through it. It has been "Cold bonded" on to the shoes. I understand
that this is very important. If an exothermic glue is used the shoes will
warp and be throw out material only. Despite following all the rules, the
initial few drives were fairly exciting. But, after a few hundred miles they
have bedded in well and as I said  I can lock them on the foot brake alone
(just). One thing I have found is that if you adjust the brakes so that they
just drag they get hot and will fade. This is easier to do in an N as there
is an adjuster on the floor which is easily got at. With good clevis pins
etc there is no need anyway as the pedal is well away from the floor.

Andrew