Re: Oil Pressure Gauges

To: <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Gauges
From: "J.E.A.Rich" <jear@rmi.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 09:30:24 -0700
Cc: MMM Register <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Pip,

Many thanks for your most informative message re oil usage. I too used
Castrol 'R' for many years in my 'AURIFO' Special in the UK before I came to
the US and the aroma was magnificent. I still put a little castor oil in my
petrol tank (when I remember) just to create that beautiful smell.

I honestly believe that the reason your quick cars run at the oil pressures
you say is that the 'plumbing' was not originally designed for the larger
volume oil pumps now being used. The standard flow equation, P = RQ squared
says that the pressure is directly proportional to the square of the flow.
If the piping was bigger you'd probably get an even larger flow but at a
lower pressure. As you say, the bigger the flow, the better! Keep up the
good work.

Cheers, "Bob".