Re: Oil Pressure Gauges

To: "J.E.A.Rich" <jear@rmi.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Gauges
From: mgwizard@caloundra.net
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 10:08:56 +1000
Cc: MMM Register <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dear Bob,

Thank you for your input on this subject.  I think I would be the last
person in the world to question your knowledge or experience.  I value
your advice.

My observations on oil supply are just that.  Observations.

Generally Q's & R's ran high pressure (around 120 lbs, hot).  The oil
gallery in the block for oil filter is only 5/16" so that limits the
amount of flow, anyway.

Certainly flow is most important.  My experience is that you can never
have too much oil.  The full size Q-trpe oil pumps use no more horse power
to pump high pressure.  Providing you can get adequate pressure & flow to
the bearings then the more that goes to the head for the rockers seems to
assist with reducing the ware.  I run a modified feed here as well.

My current P-type engine (746cc) runs 100 lbs @ start up when idling. Now,
do remember that our temperature is rarely below 20 degrees C. It  seems
to be about 140 lbs until the oil temperature rises to around 50 degrees
C. From then on it runs around 120 lbs at 4000 rpm. I never take the
engine over 3000 rpm until the oil temperature is over 30 degrees.  When
the engine is genuinely warm, I will take the engine to 8500 rpm when
needed.  I have an MSD Spark unit fitted & the revs  have hit the limiter
of 8500 rpm that I use, so I am not relying on just the rev counter which
is rather delayed, any way.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.  It works for me.

Regarding oil, I think the ultimate is Castrol R but I do not use it in my
P-type.  Oh, that smell.  I did a good deal of research about 10 years ago
with the assistance of Castrol Testing Department.  We went through a
number of oils and I now use Castrol Grand Prix which is actually a
motorbike oil.  It has been wonderfully successful.  We have never had an
engine problem in over 50,000 miles of what I call "Hard use".  But not
rough abuse.

I seem to remember that Castrol were concerned about the "ash" that
appeared in some of the oils we trialled.  And after testing the used
Grand Prix oil, Castrol were happy that there was nothing in it that would
cause any problem.

Just a little story about Castrol R. I took my P-type to UK in 1996 for
the FIVA World Rally.  Ralph Clarke came from South Africa to navigate. We
became badly lost in Edinburgh within about 10 minutes of the start.  In
catching up time we came up behind a beautiful black supercharged P-type
owned by Frank ? (an American) and went roaring by at something like
95mph.  Frank was running Castrol R.  It gave Ralph and I such a lift to
smell that great aroma.  We asked Frank to give us our fix, every morning
of the rally before we set off to tackle the tasks ahead.  We ended up
doing very well.

So that will perhaps add some thoughts to what others are considering.

I am in full preparation mode, getting the P-type ready to fly to New
Zealand at the end of the month for their week long event early Jan. 2001.
It will be great to meet up with Bollendocks & Jack Kahler again.  It
should be a great trip.

Then it is full steam ahead on my new P-type Single Seater Race car.  We
will be running this machine on Castrol oil & Methanol.  I sure hope I
live to see it finished.

Regards

Pip

"J.E.A.Rich" <jear@rmi.net>