Oil leaks

To: "MG Pre-war" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil leaks
From: "Andrew Fock" <awfock@netspace.net.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:07:05 +1000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
A question to all,

Is anyone out there still running with out a lip seal on the rear of the
crankshaft? If so, how much oil can one expect to loose from this area,
assuming that there is a oil return thread and a slinger? My N is as dry as
anything from all but this area. I didn't do the engine so I don't know what
to expect, but at high speed and full throttle  (and a bit of a hill)  the
oil seems keen to return from whence it came! It can get so bad that oil
gets onto the clutch. (I suppose the real question is has a seal been placed
here and then failed). Can this be tackled with the engine in situ or am I
looking at having to go the whole way? How successful are the lip seals on
the rear crank?

Andrew

NA 0279