Re: Connecting rod bolts

Subject: Re: Connecting rod bolts
From: Pat Mullen <pmullen@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 15:53:26 -0700
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dee and All,

Dee wrote:

> The recommendation from Phoenix was for stock MG torque, 35lb-ft.  The
> ARP recommendation in another table for 5/16-24 screws lubricated with
> moly grease is 20 lb-ft."

Phoenix's recommendation of 35 lbs-ft is identical to ARP's reco for a
220,000 PSI (ie a Pro Wave 2000) 5/16-24 bolt lubed with OIL. However
the ARP reco for a 220,000 PSI (ie a Pro Wave 2000) 5/16-24 bolt lubed
with (ARP) MOLY is 28 lbs-ft, NOT 20!
When ARP sell you bolts they tell you both their reco'd oil & moly
torques AND their reco'd stretch.
Did Phoenix not recommend a stretch?

It all goes to show that we shd all order a Rod Bolt Stretch Gauge and
put this secondary measurement of torque behind us. I've just ordered
ARP's stretch gauge for, from memory, about $158US.

   Cheers ........Pat Mullen