More carb questions

To: "'MG MMM List'" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, "'Pre-War Cars List'" <british-cars-pre-war@autox.team.net>
Subject: More carb questions
From: Nick Wright <NickWright@sutton-publishing.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:59:28 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dear listers,

Thank you all again for all the help you gave me when my 1935 MG PA was
having a few SU carb problems a month or two back. They are now nearly
working properly, but there is something else I would like to seek advice
on...

Two or three times recently I have found that, when cooling after a run, the
piston of one of the carbs jams in the dashpot. It will rise and fell
perfectly when the engine is running, but given 20 minutes or so it jams
solid. Undoing the dashpot screws and wiggling the pot allows the piston to
fall. Then, after doing up the screws again, the piston is completely back
to normal...

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know why it happens,
and does anyone have an idea about what I can do about it???

Also, the car accelerates rather lumpily. The carbs are properly balanced
and tuned . . . Could it be electrical? What is the best place to look -
coil, condensor, plugs?? And is it possible to check the effectiveness of
any of these components without simply swapping them with new ones??

Thanks very much for your help

Nick Wright
PA2218