RE: PA dash, and things

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net, NickWright@sutton-publishing.co.uk
Subject: RE: PA dash, and things
From: Richard.Morbey@taywood.co.uk
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:48:16 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
--openmail-part-043e5964-00000001
        ;Creation-Date="Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:48:16 +0100"

Nick:

I have just restored my PA dashboard and had the same problem as you.

And you are correct when you write of the problems of obtaining sequoia.

I used some redwood burl veneer, which is as near as you can get to=20
sequoia.  I obtained mine from a company called EV Exports, who have a=20
warehouse in Wooburn Green, near Bourne End. Bucks.  Tel. 01628 850066 =20
They were able to produce a bookmatched pair of veneers for which I=20
paid =A320 cash and I am sure that they will be able to sort you our with=
 ome fragments for a few coppers.

Incidentally I had the veneer bonded to a new piece of marine ply by a=20
firm in High Wycombe (centre of the furniture industry, don't you know)=20
called Proline (contact there is a very helpful chap called Grant=20
Hopkins).  This cost another =A320

When I sought advice as to the best method of varnishing the complete=20
dashboard, the answer was to use a cellulose-based melamine varnish. =20
This can be as shiny or matt as you choose, depending on whether you=20
spray it, brush it, and whether you flat it back with wire wool.  It is=20
waterproof, heatproof and the result is excellent!

Good luck
Dick Morbey
Marlow Bucks. UK
PA 0743