body frame wood preservation

To: "'MG MMM List'" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, "'Pre-War Cars List'" <british-cars-pre-war@autox.team.net>
Subject: body frame wood preservation
From: Nick Wright <NickWright@sutton-publishing.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:32:10 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
A spot of wisdom please!

My MG PA has a lot of the structural wordwork exposed to the elements,
especially around and about the back axle. The wood is original and in
remarkable condition. In an attempt to keep it that way I applied waxoyl to
all this exposed wood, but now I am not sure that I have done the right
thing. Would it have been better to leave the wood bare and let it breathe?
Or will the waxoyl not impede this? Can the waxoyl actually damage the wood?
What is the best way to look after wood like this??

Thanks for your thoughts

Nick Wright