Hartford shocks

To: "J.E.A.Rich" <jear@rmi.net>
Subject: Hartford shocks
From: PMS GB Ltd <100070.740@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 09:08:25 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>, "[unknown]" <Bill707@aol.com>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
>>several others seem interested in how to adjust Hartford
shocks, this is Bob's method and it has worked for me since
the thirties.<<

This question about adjusting the Hartford Shock absorber
seems to be begging the question of whether the units are
worth adjusting - i.e. are they in good condition - So rather
than start by tightening or loosening things the first thing is
to take them apart and check the wood discs are in good
condition, not covered with solid grease,  or even broken into
pieces. Most units will have a brass disc between the steel and
the wood. I clean, and check all discs are good and flat, or replace,
and soak them in thin oil for a bit before assembly - they dont
need greasing generally. This gets the units running smoothly
and able to take tightening with a good range of frictional
states between loose and solid!

Having resolved this issue and refurbished accordingly - then
jack the car up and allow the axle to drop, or whatever method
you choose to get the ride you want.

Regards

Clive Sherriff