Hartford shocks

To: Bill707@aol.com, David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Hartford shocks
From: "J.E.A.Rich" <jear@rmi.net>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 16:38:18 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I had previously responded to David Stansbie directly but as several others
seem interested in how to adjust Hartford shocks, this is Bob's method and
it has worked for me since the thirties. The nice thing about it is that you
don't need a jack and when I first did this, a 'jack stand' was an unstable
heap of wooden blocks, anything but safe!

You do one wheel at a time. You tighten the nut one flat at a time and push
that corner of the car down and release it. If that corner comes back up you
tighten the nut another flat until that corner stays down. If its a front
shock I back the nut off one flat, if its a back one I back it off two
flats. As good a ride as you're going to get.  QED.

Cheers, "Bob".