Re: Valve adjustment question

To: Jon Feiber <jdf@mdv.com>, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve adjustment question
From: "Jos Wantz" <Jos.Wantz@mfp.etat.lu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:35:01 +0200
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net

Jon Feiber wrote:

> I am adjusting the valves on my J2, and I cannot get any more than .001
> clearance on the 8th (most rearward) valve.  Any thoughts or suggestions
> before I (regretfully) think about tearing apart the valve train?  The rest
> of the valves adjust fine.  I've noticed that the large eccentric nuts that
> the rockers sit on seem to be numbered.  Are they unique in any way?
>
> Thanks!

If you do not get enough clearance on the valve this means that the valve stem
is too long!
Valve stems must have a certain length which must be checked every time the
valves are ground in! Probably you did not check the length (or the former
owner?) when reassembling the cylinder head, or worse, the valve seat has
suffered from recession so the valve goes in deeper into the head. This must
then be rectified by taking some length off from the stem!
Have a nice season with your MMM-car.
Jos Wantz
Cercle MMM - Luxembourg (Europe)