RE: Valve adjustment question

To: "'Jon Feiber'" <jdf@mdv.com>, "'mg-mmm'" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Valve adjustment question
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:10:39 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Jon,

The proper way to adjust J2 valve clearance is to grind the length of the
valve stem. By adjusting the eccentrics, you actually push the rocker in or
out between the cam and the valve stem. If these are adjusted too far, it
can actually alter the valve timing. They should have been set up to .006
(hot) when the large portion of the eccentric is bottom-most.

If you can't get enough clearance, and they were correct before, the likely
cause is valve seat recession or a valve seat that has somehow gone south.

The reason that someone numbered the eccentrics is likely to assemble them
in their correct position. As I said, the correct position is with the large
portion bottom-most. The valve stems are likely to be somewhat different
lengths, so keeping the rockers in their correct position ensure that the
adjustments stay correct.

Regards,
Lew Palmer